Categories for Public Courses
Email Etiquette [1 Day]
In this age of fast changing technology, email is the preferred and often most efficient form of business
communication. Yet many organisations overlook the etiquette framework that should be in place when using
this very important business communications tool.
Email Etiquette will provide you with the skills and techniques necessary for managing emails, creating and
managing groups, writing professionally with effective email structures, creating signatures and templates and
more. Learn how to draft emails that are clear and concise and won’t be misinterpreted by co-workers.
The majority of office staff use email, Internet, or both while at work and most are convinced it makes them
more productive. However, the explosion of unnecessary and time-wasting emails is one of the biggest
sources of complaint. Some 35% of workers said they received high levels of emails that were either time
wasting or unnecessary. This evidently points to the volume of emails that are directed to people without a
In an increasingly knowledge-based economy, it is critical that information is widely accessible and able to be
utilised effectively in the workplace.
- Develop a heightened awareness of the potential dangers of digital communication
- Master effective email structures to achieve clarity and successful communication
- Learn to write for the reader, starting with effective subject lines
- Carefully consider the email recipients
- Learn to work within principles to ensure professional, clear and effective emails
- Perfect grammar
- Format messages for readability
- Learn to write professionally
- Learn to avoid senders regret by proof reading
- Understand the concept of ‘netiquette’
- Master the inbox using some core principles and email functions
- Pre-Course Self-Assessment
- Introduction to Email Etiquette
- Create Structure for Success
- Rules of Thumb
- Perfecting Grammar
- Formatting your Email Message
- Polishing Your Cyber Manners
- Netiquette Guidelines
- Managing Email Overload
- Personal Accountability & Commitment Plan
Brilliant Business Writing Skills [2 Days]
The programme is designed to provide learners with the ability to follow a process in writing texts required in business. It is intended to promote clear, unambiguous communication in plain language and to improve the quality of written letters and other texts that are specific to a business environment. The programme will enable learners to recognise and effectively apply modern textual conventions.
Learners will gain a fundamental understanding of up-to-date written business communication so that they can write clear, concise, correct and effective documents. They are shown how to plan, organise, write and edit letters, meeting documents, emails and other written business communications.
- Understand the purpose of effective business writing
- Improve writing through clear communication
- Plan writing and collect relevant information
- Identify texts specific to a particular business function
- Identifying the key audience
- Checking information for accuracy, bias and stereotyping
- Using plain, up-to-date language in business documents
- Identify effective information transfer – style and tone
- Drafting and editing of business documents
- Checking for accuracy and factual correctness
- Using appropriate grammar
This intervention will assist the audience with a comprehension of written communication philosophies to enable the learner to communicate properly and accurately.
Learning assumed to be in place and recognition of prior learning – there is open access to this unit standard. Delegates should be competent in Communication at level 3.
- Introduction to Business Communication
- Textual Features and Conventions
- Composing Text – Techniques to Aid Writing
- Correct Communication Format