Categories for Corporate Life Skills
THE ART OF DELEGATING EFFECTIVELY [1 DAY]
Effective delegation is one of the most valuable skills you can master. It reduces your workload and develops employee skills. Although one of the hardest skills to master, the skill can be learned.
Delegating prepares employees who work for you to be able to handle your responsibilities and simultaneously allows you to advance to other career opportunities within your organization.
This one-day workshop will explore many of the facets of delegation, including when to delegate and whom to delegate to. The delegation process will also be worked through step by step and techniques on how to overcome problems will be discovered.
- Clearly identify how delegation fits into your job and how it can make you more successful
- Identify different ways of delegating tasks
- Use an eight-step process for effective delegation
- Give better instructions for better delegation results
- Recognize common delegation pitfalls and how to avoid them
- Monitor delegation results
- Give effective feedback
- Why Delegate?
- What is Delegation?
- Picking the Right Person
- The Delegation Meeting
- Putting it into Practice
- Giving Instructions
- Monitoring Delegation
- Giving Feedback
- Becoming a Good Delegator
MOTIVATING YOUR WORKFORCE [1 DAY]
Employees who feel they are valued and recognized for the work they do are more motivated, responsible, and productive.
This one-day workshop will help team leaders, supervisors and managers create a more dynamic, loyal, and energized workplace. It is designed to help busy team leaders, supervisors and managers understand what employees want and to give them a starting point for creating champions. It will help ignite and increase levels of staff motivation.
- Identify what motivation is
- Describe common motivational theories and how to apply them
- Learn when to use different kinds of motivators
- Create a motivational climate
- Design a motivating job
- What is Motivation?
- Supervising and Motivation
- Motivational Theories
- Setting Goals
- The Role of Values
- Creating a Motivational Climate
- Applying Your Skills
- Designing Motivating Jobs
MANAGING PRESSURE AND MAINTAINING BALANCE [1 DAY]
Many have been affected negatively by pressure and stress, resulting in serious consequences to health and life, as well as poor work performance.
Having skills to draw on for dealing with extreme busyness, many tasks and difficult people are essential for peace of mind and growth.
This one-day course will help participants increase awareness of everyday pressure, understand the causes and costs of workplace pressure and how it impacts individuals. It will also highlight the benefits of creating balance and how to identify pressure points.
Learn how to apply emotional intelligence, increase optimism and resilience, and develop strategies for getting ahead. Experience breakthroughs that you never thought were possible.
- Apply a direct understanding of pressure points and their costs and payoffs.
- Speak in terms related to emotional intelligence, optimism, and resilience.
- Create a personalized toolkit for managing stressors and anger.
- Work on priorities and achieve defined goals.
- Under Pressure!
- Getting to the Heart of the Matter
- Emotional Intelligence
- Coping Toolkit
- Getting Organized
INFLUENCE AND PERSUASION [1 DAY]
When we talk about influence and persuasion, we often talk about marketing and sales. However, we influence and persuade in many ways and with great frequency.
Effective persuasion methods and influencing skills are the difference makers for getting results, with or without positional authority.
If you want to convince your team to adopt a change, help your staff make choices, or choose the best place for lunch, there is often influencing taking place.
- Make decisions about using persuasion versus manipulation
- Apply the concepts of pushing and pulling when influencing others
- Describe different techniques for getting persuasive conversations and presentations underway
- Make a persuasive presentation by using the 5S’s
- Apply storytelling techniques to extend influence
- Leverage concepts of neuro linguistic programming in everyday influence and persuasion.
- Understanding Persuasion
- Preparing to Persuade
- Getting Off on the Right Foot
- Presentation Strategies
- Using Stories to Persuade
- Using Neuro Linguistic Programming
ETHICS IN THE WORKPLACE [1 DAY]
Workplace ethics plays an important role in company growth and development.
Ethics in the workplace is defined as the moral code that guides the behaviour of employees with respect to what is right and wrong in regard to conduct and decision making. Ethical behaviour doesn’t only apply to individual employees, the organization itself should exemplify standards of ethical conduct.
Employees who are ethically positive, honest, hardworking, and driven by principles of fairness and decency in the workplace, increases the overall morale and enhances the performance of an organisation.
Workplace ethics is integral in fostering increased productivity and teamwork among employees. It helps in aligning the values of the business with those of the employees, with a resultant increase in productivity and motivation.
- Understand the relationship between values, ethics and organisational culture and its impact on achieving goals and objectives.
- Apply the principles of ethics to improve organisational culture.
- Evaluate current practices against best practice.
- Apply best practice to a unit.
- Strengthen organisational ethics.
- Assess team and personal ethical behaviour.
- Take ownership of personal ethical behaviour.
- Understanding the Relationship Between Values, Ethics and Organisational Culture
- Apply the Concept of Corporate Ethics to a Unit
- Strengthen Shared Organisational Values and Ethical Practices
- Taking Ownership – Ethical Behaviour
ANGER MANAGEMENT [1 DAY]
Anger can be an incredibly damaging force. Employees often experience anger and frustration which if not resolved and managed can lead to increased stress and decreased productivity.
Anger is a universal experience. Dogs get angry, bees get angry, and so do humans. Since everyone experiences anger, it is important to have constructive approaches to manage it effectively.
You do not have to be a psychologist to know that managing anger productively is something few individuals, organizations, and societies do well. Yet research tells us that those who do manage their anger at work are much more successful than those who do not.
The co-worker who can productively confront his teammate about his negative attitude increases his team’s chance of success as well as minimizes destructive conflicts. The customer service agent who can defuse the angry customer not only keeps her customers loyal but makes her own day less troublesome. This one-day workshop is designed to help give you and your organization that edge.
- Recognize how anger affects your body, your mind, and your behaviour.
- Use the five-step method to break old patterns and replace them with a model for assertive anger.
- Use an anger log to identify your hot buttons and triggers.
- Control your own emotions when faced with other peoples’ anger.
- Identify ways to help other people safely manage some of their repressed or expressed anger.
- Communicate with others in a constructive, assertive manner.
- What is Anger?
- Costs and Pay-Offs
- The Anger Process
- How Does Anger Affect Our Thinking?
- Understanding Behaviour Types
- Managing Anger
- Communication Tips and Tricks
Personal Financial Management [Half Day]
The Financial Management programme is designed to equip delegates with the basic knowledge, understanding and comprehension of financial stability and viability. It is aimed at assisting in managing finances, while introducing the jargon.
The focus is in cultivating an awareness of impact of financial decisions on cash flow and budgeting. Insurance as well as the responsibility to SARS is also covered.
Delegates are shown the mistakes made when it comes to managing their finances and how to overcome them.
The workshop is highly practical and delegates are given numerous opportunities to apply the principles learnt.
- Understand budgeting in an improved way
- Familiarising oneself with financial terminology
- Setting financial goals and planning accordingly
- Exploring debt, interest rates and repayment commitments
- Insurance explained
- Understanding SARS expectations
- Setting Personal Goals & Creating a Financial Plan
- Talking About the Dreaded “D” Word
- Personal Accountability & Commitment Plan
Managing Diversity in the Workplace [1 Day]
Workplace diversity refers to the variety of differences between people in an organisation. That sounds simple, but diversity encompasses race, gender, ethnic group, age, personality, cognitive style, tenure, organizational function, education, background and more.
Diversity not only involves how people perceive themselves, but how they perceive others. Those perceptions affect their interactions. For a wide assortment of employees to function effectively as an organisation, human resource professionals need to deal effectively with issues such as communication, adaptability and change. Diversity will increase significantly in the coming years. Successful organizations recognize the need for immediate action and are ready and willing to spend resources on managing diversity in the workplace now.
Managing Diversity is about dealing with our responses and those of others with whom we interact. Diversity is about difference. Difference is part of our human nature.
- Define the term “culture”
- Determine and discuss the elements of “culture shock”
- Explore the phases of “culture shock”
- Brainstorm strategies for adjusting to new environments and cultures
- Explore elements of cultural diversity of South Africa
- Identify situations where differences in values, practices and etiquette create misunderstandings
- Explore barriers to diversity (e.g. assumptions, prejudice, stereotyping)
- The “Culture Shock” Cycle
- Exploring Cultural Differences – “Motho ke motho ka batho” – A person is a person through other people!
- Barriers to Diversity
- Managing Diversity in the Workplace
- Celebrate Diversity – A Way Forward
- Personal Accountability & Commitment Plan
Making a Positive Difference in the Workplace [1 Day]
The way we behave in the business environment and at social events can undermine effective working relationships, as it may be construed as rudeness, disrespectful or an intolerance of people of different cultures and diversity. Business and social etiquette is our behaviour, interactions and understanding of others and contributes to the professional image and perceptions of an individual and company.
This 1 day workshop is designed to provide an understanding of how to project a more professional image to create credibility and respect. It will also help build stronger relationships with coworkers, managers and employees. Proper business etiquette impacts everyone within an organisation. Learn to create a professional image and use business etiquette techniques in a variety of business settings.
- to give delegates an understanding of the importance of courtesy in business relationships
- to encourage appropriate behaviour in the workplace
- to assist delegates to project a professional and positive image
- to help delegates to relate effectively to colleagues and clients in their own context and workplace
- to help individuals understand how potentially explosive workplace issues can be diffused by appropriate courteous behaviour
- to encourage individuals to apply an ethical approach to all their activities in the workplace
experience or confidence in their interaction with internal and external customers.
- First Impressions – Lasting Impressions: Business Image
- Projecting a Positive Image
- Delegates Tasks: Taking Ownership
- Are You a Team Player?
- Personal Accountability & Commitment Plan
Stress Management [1 Day]
Stress management is all about taking charge of your lifestyle, thoughts, emotions and the way you deal with problems. No matter how stressful your life seems, there are steps you can take to relieve the pressure and regain balance.
When living with high levels of stress, you’re putting your entire well-being at risk as it wreaks havoc on your emotional equilibrium, and physical health. It narrows your ability to think clearly, function effectively and enjoy life.
Effective stress management helps break the hold stress has on your life, so you can be happier, healthier, and more productive. The goal of stress management is to lead a balanced work and personal life, with time for relationships, relaxation, and fun and the resilience to hold up under pressure and meet day-to-day challenges.
- Understand the concept of stress and target stressors in work and life
- Leverage on positive stress and manage negative stress
- Identify the causes of stress and its effects on performance, health and happiness
- Recognise stress symptoms and physical, mental and emotional reactions
- Manage the effects of stress in the workplace and improve your response towards stress
- Develop strategies to handle pressure, change negative patterns and reduce stress levels
- Make lifestyle choices and create action plans for optimal health and well-being
- Module 1: Understanding Stress
- Module 2: Internal versus External Stressors
- Module 3: Positive versus Negative Stress
- Module 4: The Four Common Types of Stress in the Workplace
- Module 5: Stress Management and Coping Techniques
- Module 6: Action Planning
Personal Mastery [2 Days]
Personal and Professional Mastery is the key issue in future individual and team performance. It requires support staff, team leaders and managers to assess and apply the knowledge of themselves to understand, motivate and manage people often within situations of conflict and interpersonal differences. This interactive workshop teaches the key principles of success and productivity through personal mastery practice, using skills and steps that need to be consistently applied to positively change personal performance and that of others.
The knowledge can transform personal and working environments to create successful organisations and the people within them and can be used in a personal way or as an aspect of organisational growth and development. This motivational workshop explores life success processes and combines management and leadership theory and practice with elements of personal mastery philosophy, assertiveness, emotional intelligence and life coaching.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of self to strengthen performance
- Understand the principles of creating personal power and self-mastery
- Build a personal development plan for performance through the right thought, belief and action
- Identify your role, purpose and value within the organisation
- Deal with conflict and interpersonal differences through assertiveness
- Motivate staff and promote teamwork through positive attitudes and environments
- Apply the principles of success in a practical business context
- Transform personal vision by understanding team dynamics
- Develop a plan of action to enhance organisational performance
- Module 1: Understanding Personal Mastery
- Module 2: Promoting Positive Attitudes
- Module 3: Working with performance keys (2 DAYS)
- Module 4: Mastering Assertiveness
- Module 5: Creating successful team dynamics
- Module 6: Monitoring the Process