The programme is designed to provide learners with the ability to follow a process in writing texts required in business. It is intended to promote clear, unambiguous communication in plain language and to improve the quality of written letters and other texts that are specific to a business environment. The programme will enable learners to recognise and effectively apply modern textual conventions.
Learners will gain a fundamental understanding of up-to-date written business communication so that they can write clear, concise, correct and effective documents. They are shown how to plan, organise, write and edit letters, meeting documents, emails and other written business communications.
- Understand the purpose of effective business writing
- Improve writing through clear communication
- Plan writing and collect relevant information
- Identify texts specific to a particular business function
- Identifying the key audience
- Checking information for accuracy, bias and stereotyping
- Using plain, up-to-date language in business documents
- Identify effective information transfer – style and tone
- Drafting and editing of business documents
- Checking for accuracy and factual correctness
- Using appropriate grammar
This intervention will assist the audience with a comprehension of written communication philosophies to enable the learner to communicate properly and accurately.
Learning assumed to be in place and recognition of prior learning – there is open access to this unit standard. Delegates should be competent in Communication at level 3.
- Introduction to Business Communication
- Textual Features and Conventions
- Composing Text – Techniques to Aid Writing
- Correct Communication Format