“Time is that fleeting moment when the future passes into the past. It is our most precious business resource yet the one we choose to waste”.
Recognise that time is an expensive non-renewable resource which, like all other resources, must be managed.
- Time spent planning is not a waste of time! – planning makes things that we want to happen actually happen and ensures that tasks are completed efficiently and effectively.
- Clarify and establish clear objectives – achieve more with focus by setting realistic goals, defining objectives and allocating resources. Be motivated and committed to achieving your goals.
- Schedule effectively – analyse time available to you, plan how to use it to achieve your goals and objectives identified. A well thought-through schedule allows you to manage your commitments and still leave time to do things critical to you. It is your most important weapon for beating work overload.
- Prioritise – don’t manage your time, maximise your time! Set and meet deadlines. Define your boundaries and stick to them, be assertive, use prime time for prime jobs. Focus your attention on what’s really important. Tackle the most important jobs first, do not waste time on trivial tasks.
- Control and manage interruptions – define your boundaries and stick to them. Stick to your priorities by being assertive. Do not let others interrupt your schedule. Remember your performance is measured by your results! There will always be interruptions, it is how they’re handled that can waste time.
- Do not over commit – minimize stress and maximize your effectiveness. Learn the difference between “where can I help?” and “Where am I really needed?”. Have confidence in yourself and in your judgement of priorities and stick to them no matter what.
- Reorganise your desk– create work spaces that will enhance productivity and efficiency.
- Use and maintain an effective diary system – record relevant information and update a diary effectively, create an action plan, create a prioritized “to do” list according to difficulty and deadlines. Thinking on paper makes it easier to review, revise and remember!
- Delegate – increase the amount of work you can manage by allocating clear responsibilities and the authority to carry them out. By delegating we free ourselves time to concentrate on tasks critical and important to our own job. It also encourages, motivates, challenges and shows confidence in others at work.
- Procrastinate less – recognise when you start procrastinating, understand why – ask yourself, “what am I avoiding?” and take active steps to better manage your time and outcomes.
- Communicate effectively – don’t let time be wasted by a “break-down” in communications – talk less and listen more.
- Avoid needless perfection! – schedule 10 minutes to do nothing, sit and clear your mind. You’ll end up thinking more clearly, resulting in more time in your day.
“The ultimate purpose of effective time management is to reduce unnecessary stress and to optimise the quality of your life in all your key roles”
Kwelanga Training has offices based in Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town and presents public training courses at corporate venues in:
- Johannesburg – Southern Sun Hotel, Katherine Street, Sandton
- Pretoria – Southern Sun Hotel, Arcadia, Pretoria
- Cape Town: Southern Sun Hotel, Newlands
- Durban: Hilton Hotel, North Beach
- Port Elizabeth: Cherry Place, Walmer
On-site training can be presented at discounted rates at any location in Southern Africa. Our facilitators will train at your premises
For further information contact:
Tel: +27 11 704 0720
“Shedding Light on Skills Development”