The ability to write an excellent report is one of the most highly sort after skills in business today. In a competitive market you can assure yourself of advancement by perfecting this skill.
The report is an informative written document produced as a result of research or observation. The gathered information is objective and factual.
Do your reports pass the 5 Cs test?
Concise – to the point and professionally presented
Clear – all the necessary information is included
Complete – format, headings and layout logical
Correct – suits requirements of the primary reader
Corrected – well edited and proof read
There is always room for improvement and your report should meet the 10 Rules of Report Writing:
1. The report must have a clear purpose and objective.
2. Know what kind of report is required and how long is should be.
3. Know the extent of the brief and the scope.
4. Know your readers needs and expectations.
5. Plan on paper first, then write the topic outline.
6. Make sure that your information is reliable and fact based.
7. Be self-disciplined and manage your time efficiently.
8. Do not allow opinion to slant your business writing.
9. Select a structure to achieve your objective and for ease of reading.
10. Learn from constructive criticism by attaching an evaluation.
“There should be no vagueness, not the slightest doubt or confusion, over what the message says, not even for an instant.” Walter Wells
Kwelanga Training has offices based in Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town and presents public training courses at corporate venues in:
- Johannesburg – Southern Sun Hotel, Katherine Street, Sandton
- Pretoria – Southern Sun Hotel, Arcadia, Pretoria
- Cape Town: Southern Sun Hotel, Newlands
- Durban: Hilton Hotel, North Beach
- Port Elizabeth: Cherry Place, Walmer
On-site training can be presented at discounted rates at any location in Southern Africa. Our facilitators will train at your premises
For further information contact:
Tel: +27 11 704 0720
“Shedding Light on Skills Development”